Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

    My cousin's cat loves to eat cooked eggplant, potato's, carrot and beetroot.Is it good for its health??

  • #2
    Re: Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

    In moderation, there is no harm for your cousin's cat. Whilst cats are obligate carnivores (meaning that meat is an essential part of their diet), the vitamins and minerals in added vegetables will do him/her good (especially magnesium, potassium and calcium). However, meat and fish should remain the main part of a cat's diet in order to remain in good health.
    Do animals have souls?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

      Originally posted by LPC View Post
      In moderation, there is no harm for your cousin's cat. Whilst cats are obligate carnivores (meaning that meat is an essential part of their diet), the vitamins and minerals in added vegetables will do him/her good (especially magnesium, potassium and calcium). However, meat and fish should remain the main part of a cat's diet in order to remain in good health.
      Ok..LPC.I will make a note.Did cooked meat and fish are rich in vitamins or uncooked?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

        That's a very good question. Vitamin C is damaged by cooking, although the B vitamins are generally not affected. There is a good table here:
        http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...ooked-2e.shtml

        Mineral loss in cooking is minimal. See this page:
        http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...ooked-2g.shtml

        So cooking your meat and vegetables will not damage much, except for vitamin C and thiamine. Now regarding the question of cooking versus not cooking, most pet owners prefer to give their pets commercial pet food (which is cooked), or (like me) cook their own food for their pets. I do a mix of meat and vegetables, with the meat well cooked to kill any parasites (tape worms especially) and bacteria, and with the vegetables lightly cooked.

        I would not recommend raw fish for cats. See http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slides...ould-never-eat

        Some people do give their pets raw meat, believing that this is more natural and contains more goodness. That is their choice and I do not criticise it. One of our esteemed fellow admins, Frolicking Ferrets, is an advocate of raw meat for dogs. I will not not enter into a long discussion here of the merits of to cook or not to cook. All I will say is that I choose to cook the meat, as I do not want my dog to eat any living parasites; the eggs are so small that they cannot be seen easily with the naked eye.
        LPC
        Administrator
        Last edited by LPC; 07-15-2017, 02:30 AM.
        Do animals have souls?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

          Originally posted by LPC View Post
          That's a very good question. Vitamin C is damaged by cooking, although the B vitamins are generally not affected. There is a good table here:
          http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...ooked-2e.shtml

          Mineral loss in cooking is minimal. See this page:
          http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...ooked-2g.shtml

          So cooking your meat and vegetables will not damage much, except for vitamin C and thiamine. Now regarding the question of cooking versus not cooking, most pet owners prefer to give their pets commercial pet food (which is cooked), or (like me) cook their own food for their pets. I do a mix of meat and vegetables, with the meat well cooked to kill any parasites (tape worms especially) and bacteria, and with the vegetables lightly cooked.

          I would not recommend raw fish for cats. See http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slides...ould-never-eat

          Some people do give their pets raw meat, believing that this is more natural and contains more goodness. That is their choice and I do not criticise it. One of our esteemed fellow admins, Frolicking Ferrets, is an advocate of raw meat for dogs. I will not not enter into a long discussion here of the merits of to cook or not to cook. All I will say is that I choose to cook the meat, as I do not want my dog to eat any living parasites; the eggs are so small that they cannot be seen easily with the naked eye.
          Wow..Tq..LPC for the useful links and info..

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

            Not just raw meat for my dogs LCP but my ferrets too, and cats when I had them before my cat allergy got too much.
            Ferrent (ferret parent/owner) to Nancy, Jimmy, Willow, Watson, Smokii, Slynkee, Sherlock and Scylla the EU polecat hybrid.
            Come and see what they're up to here - https://www.youtube.com/c/FrolickingFerrets
            RIP Florence, Jasper, and Bandit the eu polecat.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

              As long as that cat doesn't eat too much of it, it is absolutely fine.. :)

              Certain vegetables if eaten too much can cause too much of stomach acid so it should be over done with

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pet cats love to eat vegetables??

                Originally posted by Cat View Post
                As long as that cat doesn't eat too much of it, it is absolutely fine.. :)

                Certain vegetables if eaten too much can cause too much of stomach acid so it should be over done with
                Stomach acid .Oh Ok.

                Comment

                Working...
                X