14 yr old, Chocolate Lab with severely swollen ear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 yr old, Chocolate Lab with severely swollen ear

This has been ongoing now for about 5-6 wks.. our vet opened the ear, drained it and gave an antibiotic. Back in ten days to remove sutures. Still swollen, vet sent him home with amoxicillin, 250mg 3/day . Back at vets five days later and we’re told he has to operate and drain it again. Five days later no improvement, vet added Novox 100mg 1/day. Long story short he’s now taking both meds five days later and little to no improvement. We’re in a farm/ranch community. We’ve used this vet for yrs. no other vet within about 40 mi.. anyone here that has dealt with this problem?
    Granniek
    Hatchling
    Last edited by Granniek; 02-24-2020, 04:17 PM. Reason: Changed 520 mg to 250 mg.

Re: 14 yr old, Chocolate Lab with severely swollen ear

It is difficult for anyone to comment, as a swollen ear could have many possible causes. It needs close examination by a vet. If your current vet's treatments are not working, you need to tell him so clearly - or else go to another vet, even if a long way away. A second opinion would be a wise precaution, I think.

Every best wish to you and your dog. Please keep us updated on what happens.
    Do animals have souls?

Comment

Thank you for your response! My husband had Amber back at our vet today. He told my husband it is a difficult infection to treat, that progress will be slow and we’d have to be patient. Our lab is dealing with this better than we are! She’s a sweet soul! We have a much younger dog, a rescue that we’ve had for almost a year and she is so impatient, wanting to be with her best fur-friend. So, from what I’ve read online and what our vet had to say today, we will all be patient!

Comment

You're very welcome. We are here to help. If things don't improve in the next couple of weeks or so, then a second opinion would be what I would go for - but it is up to you.

Please come back soon and let us know how things are progressing. goo:)d-dog
        Do animals have souls?

Comment

Working...
        X