No announcement yet.

Need Help!!! She won't stop jumping!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just going to add my two cents here, not sure about, nothing in life is free. But as I grew up I was tought to say please and thank you, as most kids are. As my dogs grew up and we did training with them we were tought, not that nothing in life is free, but rather that the only way for a dog to say please, is to show manners. So asking your dog to sit, before being fed is like asking your dog to say please. So before we put the food down it was the dog had to sit, his way of saying please. and when he went out, he sat at the door, and sits when he comes in to be taken off lead. Its not that nothing in life is free, its that its better to say please, then to snatch something from me.

On top of which, my dogs love to 'work' for their meals, not regular meals, but treats, you should see how hyper my rottie gets when I ask her a serious of commands, like sit, flat, shake, twist, even without food in my hand, cause she knows something very special is coming treat wise, weather she can see it or not. So try not to think of it as work so much as manners, by your dogs coming up to you and sitting, hes saying, please give me some loving. And Loving is always free.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Comment

I totally agree Celtech.
      My dogs need to be obedient, and calm before allowed food or treats and if they are particular pushy or shovey then they need to back up and I'll walk first while they follow. I am careful to watch they don't get pushy or test me, and if they don't and are poltie then I don't follow the nilif rules, but I do revert to them if they start acting dominant with me. Then when they rememebr that I'm alpha we can go back to living life normally...although they always have to sit before I put down their bowls, or before a treat. This is simply because I'd get bowled over if they were allowed to just attack their food AS I was putting it down. Hence they sit until I can clear out of the way (grin).

Comment

I do the samething with my horses, if they can't stand back and wait pationtly, they don't get fed. I have done agression training with one of my dogs simply because when he was a pup he had agression issus, but now a days, he is a perfect angle, and the only time he is reminded of his status is when the hubby is play fighting with him, and pins him at the end to remind him who is alpha dog in the house.

Comment

stop jumping easily and quickly

If you so choose you can teach any somewhat mature dog regardless of size or breed to stop jumping up using a prong collar. You can teach a realiable no jump and off command in just 2 short sessions along with a heavy distraction and proofing scheme that results in a long term understanding for the dog.

. It will require obtaining the knowledge to how to properly choose and fit the collar and the proper method which should be done by having a expert personnaly show you the pros and cons to all of the issues that might occur.

If you need detailed help with the process you may PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by celtechfarms
            and the only time he is reminded of his status is when the hubby is play fighting with him, and pins him at the end to remind him who is alpha dog in the house.
            EVERYTHING you do with your dog is establishing or strengthening his understanding of your relationship & rules(or of course, weakening it if you're not a good leader). This one little bit of punishment, if the relationship is already good and he knows where he belongs is unnecessary. It could also weaken the bonds, if he doesn't understand why he's being punished - if he didn't do anything 'wrong'.

However, IMO it does show his attitude & your relationship is probably pretty good, as if this truely were the only time he was 'shown who's boss', it would likely cause him to either cower & be reluctant to play with your husband, or retalliate against something that was confusing and scary. IMO this doesn't 'remind him who's alpha', it just shows *you* how willing or otherwise he is to submit.

Respectfully
            champ

Comment

No, just like in the wild. when alpha is done playimg he'll pin the submissive he's playing with. So do we, it dosen't confuse him, and its not punishment, its just a way of ending the game before he dose. Do to his past we make sure we continue to remind him of his place in the pack, weather he knows or not, to not to, would be to risk him thinking he's higher ranking then he is.

Comment

My advice is to give a firm NO anytime your dog tries to jump on you and also to take your dog to animal training facility I highly recommend.

Also if a dog is about to jump on you please put arms infront of chest to protect the chest.

Good luck to ya ;) ; )
                My name is Jason and I am from North United States of America (N. USA) and I live in N. USA and I was born in N. USA
                General Chat [url]http://www.animalforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4975[/url]

Comment

Working...
                X