Caretaking for an orphaned puppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caretaking for an orphaned puppy

Hello. Yesturday I came across an abandoned puppy. I have taken it upon myself to feed and care for this puppy and I am in need of some advise. Particularly about feeding habits and such. I'm pretty sure it's a pit bull but I'm not sure how old he is. I've posted a few pictures of him below. The first is of him sleeping on my bed and the second is of him chewing my wrist off (kidding =P).

He seems to be pretty healthy (though he was really hungry when I fed him the first time). I quickly scowerd the interenet when I got home for a suitable puppy bottle feeding formula and I found this:

http://www.leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm

It seemed to make sense so I used it. He drank nearly a full bottle the first time and I've estimated is daily intake as 300 ML of the stuff. Doing a bit of calculations, I've realized a bottle full (210 ML) is around 1660 calories, so I'm a bit concerned about this. I'm thinking I should get some advise before I continue feeding him, as I wouldn't want him to have a heart attack.

He only seems to be around 3 or 4 weeks old I'd guess. I really don't think he's old enough for solid food yet, seeing as he's so small and is just barely walking. He can walk and run but he fumbles around a lot and loses his balance. I don't have any way of weighing him though, sadly. However, from muzzle to butt (excluding the tail), he is about a foot long (and very cute).

All in all he seems to be healthy. But I need to know some basic stuff about puppy feeding habits.

Breed is hard to tell right now, as most puppies have that scrunched up face like a pit bull would. So I wouldn't label him a pit quite yet.

If he's not walking around yet, I'd say he's closer to 2 weeks old. Are his ears open yet?

Yes, he's old enough for solids. The biggy will be if he'll take it. Get a good quality, ground (wet canned) dinner. Put some in a pie pan and mix some of the formula with it to make it runnier. Basically "liquid" enough to lap up. You can still continue to bottle feed, especially if he'll take to it. It won't do any harm.

As far as how much to feed him........he should eat at least every 2 to 3 hours and probably for 10 to 15 minutes, 20 if he'll eat that long. It might seem like he's getting a lot of calories but he should be "rolly polly". He's growing and it takes a lot of nutrients to keep him healthy.

Otherwise, he should be doing fine. Expect a good, steady walk around 4 weeks. His ears should open within a week following. You can go ahead and start deworming anytime. Nemex is a good dewormer and suggests use at 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10 weeks (if I remember correctly).

Don't get discouraged if he won't accept the wet food right away. I have a whole litter that I'm taking care of and it took a good week before they realized what it was and how to go about eating it.

Out of curiosity, where did you find him? I'm just thinking he's so young and where there's one, there's probably more.

Good luck!!!

Comment

i'm not feeling well so didnt read it all the way through but have you got him on a workmer yet?
      i know its early days so not being pushy its just his belly has a rather large rounded look to it.
      www.irishretrieverrescue.com
      all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

Comment

With a Nintendo DS, you have a wide variety of different games available to you. Slide the screen-covered adapter over the top screen of the Nintendo DS. how to connect nintendo ds to tv

Comment

Working...
        X