white flakes on fur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white flakes on fur

We own a terrier/daschund mix female with long black hair and probably the sweetest, smartest dog we have ever owned. She was a rescue dog, so we know little about her history before 8-9 months old. Recently she has developed little white flakes on her fur. I bathe her every 2 weeks with oatmeal shampoo and have changed her dog food a couple of times, but no change yet. The local vet told me it was fleas, but I don't believe it 'cause I treat her often since she's an inside dog and she has fleas rarely! We just moved to a small town and may have to take her to a larger city for a vet . . . . unless someone has a suggestion . . . . please???

Changing dog food and bathing often will cause this. First pick a good quality food and leave her on it, for the first possibly six months you will get this and then it will fade as the skin and fur gets better and better. Then stop bathing every two weeks, dogs have natural oils in their fur that bathing throws off causing skin irritation. Bath no more then four times a years, perferabley maybe two times a year or when she just gets really dirty and use a dog specified shampoo, not human shampoo or oatmeal shampoo unless its formulated for dogs. Dogs have a different skin chemistry then people do.

These three simple steps should solve all your issues. If you have fleas you will see black droppings not white flakes. And if your flea treating often, as in more then recommended on the packages, you should look into stopping that as well, you should only flea treat during flea season, and not during the winter so that your dog's body has time to flush the toxins common flea treatments carry.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Comment

I agree, definitely try changing the food. Perhaps you may want to try something with omega 3. Over bathing could be feeding fuel to the fire as well as this could definitely be drying out her skin, especially if she isn't rinsed properly. Good luck.
      [url=http://www.farmmedley.com]Dogs For Sale[/url]

Comment

I am guessing this is either the food or the doggie shampoo??

Comment

wow! good for you...that is cool

Comment

If you have fleas you will see black droppings not white flakes. And if your flea treating often, as in more then recommended on the packages, you should look into stopping that as well, you should only flea treat during flea season, and not during the winter so that your dog's body has time to flush the toxins.
            Tishawn45

Comment

Working...
            X