Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to spay or not to spay

To spay or not to spay, that is the question~

Would you or have you spayed your pet in the past?
    I could never do it, personally.
    For the love of your pets!
    [url]www.petsmo.com[/url]

Yes my dog is spayed. If you do not plan on showing and then breeding your dog then there is no reason not to.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Comment

Oh goodness.
      ABSOLUTELY spay your pet.

Having your pet spayed or neutered is one important part of being a responsible pet owner. Each day 10,000 humans are born in the U.S. - and each day 70,000 puppies and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals. As a result, every year 4 to 6 million animals are euthanized because there are no homes for them. In addition to saving lives, spaying and neutering can also drastically improve your pet's health and life expectancy. The idea that pets become fat or lazy when they are spayed or neutered is a myth. Sterilized pets lead healthier, longer lives. Spaying a female eliminates the possibility of uterine and ovarian cancer and greatly reduces the risk of breast cancer. Neutering a male reduces the risk of both prostate enlargement and prostate cancer. Neutering also will make your pet more affectionate and less likely to roam, get in fights, or become lost.

Spayed and neutered pets are better, more affectionate, companions.

Spaying a female dog or cat eliminates its heat cycle, which can last twenty-one days, twice a year, in dogs, and anywhere from three to fifteen days, three or more times a year, in cats. Females in heat often cry incessantly, show nervous behavior, and attract unwanted male animals.

Spayed and neutered pets are less likely to bite. Unaltered animals often exhibit more behavior and temperament problems than those that have been spayed or neutered.

Spayed and neutered dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives.

Spaying female dogs and cats eliminates the possibility of uterine or ovarian cancer and greatly reduces the incidence of breast cancer.

Neutering male dogs and cats reduces the incidence of prostate cancer.

Neutered animals are less likely to roam and fight.

SO IF YOU LOVE YOUR PET AND WANT IT TO LIVE LONGER - SPAY AND NEUTER IT!

Comment

Petsmo,

are you making the rounds of the doggy bulletin boards posting your inflammatory anti spaying message?

Because you posted the exact same thing at Terrificpets.com.

You also got the same response.

Have you learned anything?
        Redyre Rottweilers
        "Penny" U-CH Eternal Moon Finders Keepers
        "Didds", TT * "V-"PeeWee" BH AD IPO 1 TT
        Waiting at the Bridge...
        V-Roxy CD, ASCA CD, TT, TDI, HIC, CGC
        Best in Vet Sweeps, ARC Reg. IV Specialty, 9/01

Comment

Ah thanks Red.
          A "plant".
          Sigh.
          Probably just trying to promote his website or something.

Comment

Excellent reply. I read that person's post and was getting ready to respond when I read your relpy. I couldn't have said it better.
            I hope more people will read your post and realize how important it is to be a responsible pet owner.
            If they are leaning on not having the surgery done, then they should go volunteer at a shelter and hang out with the euthanisa tech.

Comment

Not sure

I was definitely planning on spaying my female Shih Tzu, but I've heard of so many dogs that die after the surgery that now I'm scared.

She is still 3 months old so I have 3 more months to decide. since then, I'll keep reading your recomendations.

:roll:

Comment

Intact bitches also die of pyometritis, or from accidental breedings.

I will take the (minor) surgical risk of spaying any day over the 2 aforementioned.

Make your appointment for around 5 - 6 months of age, and get it done.
                Redyre Rottweilers
                "Penny" U-CH Eternal Moon Finders Keepers
                "Didds", TT * "V-"PeeWee" BH AD IPO 1 TT
                Waiting at the Bridge...
                V-Roxy CD, ASCA CD, TT, TDI, HIC, CGC
                Best in Vet Sweeps, ARC Reg. IV Specialty, 9/01

Comment

I'm faced with this delimma with my new-born orphaned kitten I adopted. Inspite of what everyone says, I'm leaning very much against spaying/neutering (don't know if it's a boy or girl yet.) I have read about birth control for cats and want to research that more. I of course understand the reasons behind fixing. The overabundance of kittens and puppies is cetainly tragic, but people who think that they are doing the pet a favor by depriving them of such an essential part of life are kidding themselves.
                  I have often heard that female cats don't enjoy sex and are simply raped. I think it's bs. Yes, it's true the male holds her down with his teeth - but who's to say she doesn't enjoy it? Based on the amount of time she spends whining in heat I would think she does. The male only responds to the scent she releases when she's in heat. If she weren't in the mood she wouldn't be releasing it. And if they didn't like it, why would they strive to repeat the experience next time? It's not like the female cat just gets attacked out of the blue. She does a lot to express her longing and make it happen. Just some food for thought.

Comment

Check this out:

http://www.actioncat.com/research.html

Comment

Whining in heat doesn't mean she enjoys it. It's not exactly a pleasureable moan, as it is a mating call. Mating is done with the intention of reproducing, not for pleasure. As far as your question about the repetition of it, female cats have to mate numerously in order to get pregnant. Once may not be enough. Yes, it is wise to spay/neuter your kitten. He/she will grow to want kittens, not growing to want sex.

Few animals have sex for pleasure. Cats are not one of them. Asides humans, dolphins and bonobos will.

Maybe you will find this site of interest? They are good reasons to spay and neuter.

http://www.oregonvma.org/petowners/spayneuter.asp#7

Comment

I don't believe that any animal actually has enough forsight to mate for reproduction as opposed to pleasure. Do you really think that they understand the connection? If that were the case, maybe there wouldn't be so many abandoned kittens. So according to you, when a female cat cries in heat, she just wants babies? Wouldn't she continue crying until they're actually born? In either case, I think that it's a a bit arrogant for humans to assume either way. We could never know how an animal actually feels. All these things are just suppositions.

Comment

I've seen that website. I'm aware that most people think this way. But just because something has been said and printed over and over numerous times doesn't mean it's true. I will continue to look for alternative ways to solve this issue, i.e. some form of contraception, because I want to give my pet a full life and not deprive it of its God-given rights.

Comment

Read this:

http://www.kittens-lair.net/cat-mati...ne-mating.html

This site is pro-altering like most others, but if you read the description of the female cat's sexuality, you'll see it has little to do with wanting babies.

Comment

LOL..sorry but I just got a chuckle out of this. Honestly I could care less whether or not the cat wants to be bred or not...all animals have a natural drive to reproduce..thats what animals do..we eat, we breed, we raise young and we die.

There is no reason not to spay your cat. Doing so not only helps prevent things like ovarian and mamary cancer but it also prevents them from having kittens. The kittnes, who BTW the vast majority die because there are no homes for them.

And if you have EVER had kids then you understand you also spare your cat the hell and pain of the birthing experience.

Bottum line: Spay and Nueter your pets and help stop overpopulation!
                              "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

Comment

Working...
                              X