Rottweiler info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rottweiler info

Ive recently just bought a house and to make it feel more 'homely' we decided to get a dog. So since I always wanted a rottie Ive decided im going to get one.

My other half doesnt think it will be a good choice of dog as we have a daughter at 16months. But just before we got this house we lived at her parents where a Boxer lived. Boxers are probably no where near as decent a dog as a Rottie. So I dont see what the problem is.
    The boxer follows her commands, sits-stays-lie's down etc, when ever she tells it to. So if she can do it with the Boxer I dont see why not with a Rottweiler.

Ive told her that good training and alot of attention will provide us with, hopefully, a very calm confident dog.

The main question here is, can I really trust this kind of dog around my daughter and girl friend?

Can the people with Rottie's provide me with info on things like - The do's and Dont's - Some good stories - Some bad ones

Ive went and picked a male Rottie from a neighbour and introduced it to the house and family. All it done was lick and sniff about. Im just not sure if I should actually confirm the buy and keep it. :roll:

When gettting a rottie with a child you have to think about a few things, how much do you know about the breed, reserch, reserch, reserch. This is not a breed for everyone and ranks very high on the dog IQ scale, number 8 actually, B.Collie being number 1 and dobes number 5. So the first question is, do you want a smart dog, you might jump up and say, absolutly, but remember intellegnce isn't always good if they can out think you.

Rotties are farm dogs (no one yell at me for this.) If you don't realise this you may mistake alot of body language and actions, they herd like B.Collies, staring down and if you don't move, by bumping or hitting you, they are not prone to biting, dispite popular theory. They make awsome family pets, and will often bond with one family member more then another and will fallow that member around.

Its important that if you get an adult dog, that it has been brought up with kids and is good with them, if you get a pup, ground rules are very important, no mouthing, no bumping, no tugging. Remember, baby may out weigh pup now, but eventually thats goign to change. Rottweilers grow to be anywhere from 60 to 120 lbs. of pure muscle, and I do mean muscle, they may look small and weak, but theres are massive powerful animals with strength enough in their chest to take a kick from a cow and get up and keep going.

A good breeder is important, they will garentee health of your pup and help you along the way as the dog grows. Obediance classes are a must, no dog comes trained, they require the time, espically rotties, who need something to keep their minds occupied. A working rottie, is a happy rottie, even if that means just a good game of fetch and a long walk, they need excursize, they will fatten up fast if left to lay around and pig out all day. If you want a rottie cause they look good and you think, 'well they look like a boxer so they must act like one.' then think about getting a boxer, cause rotties are completely diffrent.

Understand too, that rotties are very protective dogs, so as your child grows and makes friends, you will need a creat in order to protect your dog from them, and them from your dog, as I have heard of kids attacked because they hurt the dogs little mistress and he was protecting her from the other child, it happens, don't think it wont. Read lots though, AKC and CKC, Rottweiler club of Canada, and US Rottweiler Club will all have lots of great information on this breed.

I'm not trying to discourage you, its just too many people out there who have kids buy theses dogs, then get rid of them when they prove to be too much, or don't train them properly and they become a danger, which only gives more of a bad name to this beautiful and great breed. They are truely awsome dogs with kids, mine was nine months old when my doughter was born and they are inseperable, they love each other so much. And its not just the dog, its the kids too, who must be trained to treat the dog properly.

And as my finial not, it is my experiance that females make better pets espically with kids, but either gender is good, males just tend to be a touch bit less tolerant and domenint, not all, but most. Spaying and Nuturing is essential, it must be done, females can get grochy and males just down right nasty when dogs come into heat, having your dog fixed will protect you from such problems.

Good luck finding the dog you want, and have fun, I hope all goes well. And don't listen to roumor, no dog attack goes unprovoked, ever.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Comment

I have done alot of research and understand the effort that needs to put in but Im really just being cautious on the behaviour aspects and most importantly the saftey of my daughter.

Its all the bad press and warning that is just a little off putting.

Comment

Stuvey, it is excellent that you have done so much research.
        Good for you.
        I have had rotts for the past 20 years.
        I currently have three.
        Like the above stated, these are not dogs for everyone. The reason you read so much bad press about them is that people do not take the time to understand them and research the dog before they get them (like you are). They also LOOK big and bad, and so the wrong TYPES of people get them. You always hear about rotties, pit bulls and akitas...but the dogs that bite MORE often are dalmatians, chihuahuas and chows. It is just that the size of a rottie or a pit bull often contibute to more serious injury.

There is no scientific correlation between a dog's breed or size and its propensity to bite. Poor training and lack of proper supervision are involved in virtually every case of unprovoked dog aggression.

My dogs have never, ever, in 20 years, ever bitten anyone, or tried to. That is 6 different rotties. All but one were rescues and taken from bad situations. I worked with every one to make sure they were ok. Dogs will respond to the way you treat them.

I would suggest though that the post above is also correct. A dog WILL protect their own. Mostly this will mean growling, baring teeth or putting themself between "their child" and whoever is harming them. It is not unheard of for the dog to go after someone if they are harming your child. I had a dog that reacted when we were in a playground and another kid hit my neice over the head with a rock. My neice was seriously injured and my dog went over growling att he offending boy and keeping herself between him and my neice. So for playdates, I would always suggest putting the dog somewhere else in case your child is ever struck or just because you have no idea how that other child was raised. I would say this of ANY dog though and not just rotties.

I think rotties are an EXCELLENT family dog, but I would feel happier if you were getting a puppy. What do you mean you are considering one from your neighbor? Is he a reputable breeder? How young is the dog?
        A rottie does not mature until about two years old.

I am sure Red will come by with some advice for you as well.

Keep in mind that you should also go for obedience classes with whatever dog you get just to be sure to socialize them (very important) at a young age with other people and other animals.

Comment

Originally posted by kerryclair

I think rotties are an EXCELLENT family dog..

Keep in mind that you should also go for obedience classes with whatever dog you get just to be sure to socialize them (very important) at a young age with other people and other animals.
          That is the very news and reply I was looking for. This thread has helped me over come my fear of them living up to their reputation and attacking.

The puppy, Max, is 11 weeks old. I took him to get his first vaccination and the worm tablets. Max was one of 15 pups - 6 died at birth. :(
          The breeder had basically got himself a puppy almost 2 years ago and decided not too long ago to try and breed. He bought a bitch and shazam!.. you know the rest.

The parents are very tame and respectable dogs. Very well behaved. So that is a good thing. Max took very well to my daughter and other half. Everytime my daughter would run about laughing the pup would chase her about and sort of like stick his head to her feet. Im assuming this a natural thing.. as said previously - they are farm dogs, good for herding sheep etc.

Your last comment, well, thats something everyone has told me. So I see that as a must.

Thanking you both for the replys. :wink:

Comment

Stuvey, Ok, so this is a back yard breeder. Darn.
            Well there are certainly a lot of THEM out there! Any chance they even know if hip dysplasia runs int heir dogs genes? It is something reputable breeders breed OUT of their breed and back yarders seem to have with many dogs...

My dogs are amazing family dogs. They absolutely LOVE kids. LOVE them. They are amazing loyal. I've had terriers too ... and one thing about your rott that will probably be true - if he barks - go check. My terriers could yap all day and I'd not even bat an eye. if my rotties bark, I get up to go and see. They aren't a frivolous dog. They are serious about their house, home and the people in it. My dogs will greet you at the barn with happy wags and smiles and joy...or at the mailbox, or in the front field...but come up to the house and they aren't so happy to see you and will keep you at bay until I tell them it's ok. Then they go back to being happy, joy and wags. :)

The most important thing to know with a rottie is that they need you to be alpha. I don't mean being aggressive. That is the worst thing you can do - strike them or show aggression towards them. They are NATURALLY protective so don't EVER encourage it. If you encourage it, you'll encourage aggression. This is where people go wrong all the time. If the dog growls at an inappropriate time, reprimand him...don't laugh, encourage it or disregard it. This is where many people get into problems. They think it is funny, the dog sees that his aggression pleased his master and he does it more and more often. You'll never ever have to teach this dog to be protective or to be cautious around strangers. He'll do it on his own. if you encourage it, you might inadvertently cause him to become more than what you want.

You have to be the alpha to this dog. He will READILY accept you as such and WANTS you to be such. EVEN YOUR KIDS will be alpha to him...but if you don't step up and be the leader, then he'll feel he has to.

Take a look at this when you get a chance.
            http://animalforum.com/dpuppy101.htm

You're gonna love your rott. They are amazing dogs. Very loving, very attentive, very intelligent. Enjoy him. Post pictures for us and keep us up to date!

Comment

my first dog was a rescue dog and it eventually turned into showing attitude towards my son of 2 and one day i caught it grabbing his sleeve on his dressing gown and growling , we took the decision to take the dog back to the center we got it from .

with the gap of no dog we decided to buy a puppy and in turn bought a rotwieller
              i used to do a lot of night fishing and she was verry protective when aproached by strangers
              had no problems with her in the family home
              this i an old pic my son in it is now 16

Comment

Stuvey, hopefully your unfortunate selection of a breeder will be overcome by your dedication to the puppy.

I have this advice:

Train early and often, Start formal classes no later than 16 weeks, and you should continue in regular training classes until the dog is at least 18 months old.

Neuter early. Male dogs are larger, more independent, more dominant, and more likely to injure people particularly when left intact.

Confine well. You need EXCELLENT fencing from which the dog can NOT escape. Gates should ALWAYS be locked. Male Rottweilers as adult dogs will almost to an individual, not look kindly on people who are not members of the family coming on his turf esp. if you are not there. It's your responsibility to see to it the dog does not do something that is natural for him that may cost him his life and you a large lawsuit.

Please go out to the front page and print out my article called Puppy Training 101.

Come back here if you have more questions.

Train early and often. Discourage mouthing from the start. Be a good leader for the puppy. Socialize as much as possible encouraging polite friendly behavior from the puppy. Neuter as early as possible. Fence well.

I would also encourage you to screen your puppy early for inherited defects, as his parents were likely not screened at all. Early intervention can help many inherited things such as hip or elbow dysplasia. Rotties also have inherited heart issues, and eyes as well. Talk to your vet about screening at around 12 mos of age unless you see issues earlier.
                Redyre Rottweilers
                "Penny" U-CH Eternal Moon Finders Keepers
                "Didds", TT * "V-"PeeWee" BH AD IPO 1 TT
                Waiting at the Bridge...
                V-Roxy CD, ASCA CD, TT, TDI, HIC, CGC
                Best in Vet Sweeps, ARC Reg. IV Specialty, 9/01

Comment

Working...
                X