Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious if any comments about this diet.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious if any comments about this diet.....

HI- I'm new and can see already that this is a great place for questions, share information, and just talking about our pets. I do pet sitting, and am taking care of a newfoundland, very spoiled, but young dog.
    Here's his diet,and in all my years of having dogs, this one's a first.
    for one meal:
    1 raw egg
    half cup dry dog food
    half cup raw turkey meat
    2 RAW chicken wings
    two tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 cup grated carrots
    half cup cut up cucumber

and , when he's done........an "After Dinner Mint"
    I'm Mia's new mom, and I think a little rice, an egg once in a while, and the carrots are great, but I"m not sure about the rest.
    This dog eats this twice a day, for every meal, he's huge, but I'm curious what you all think of the ingrediants, the next time I see my vet, I'm going to ask her..
    thanks
    Barbara

Sounds like a combo of raw and commercial diet.
    The raw items are great nutrition for a dog, but I
    wonder how many eggs a week a dog should have.

Have recently read about raw diet and for the first
    time, I begin to understand why raw food is so good
    for a dog. I was kind of nervous when Abby had her
    first raw chicken neck, but there were no repercussions.
    She still has mostly commercial food with raw on the side.

Great job with Mia...she is a sweety-face.

Comment

Agree with Rita on this. Seems to be a combo diet. Though it actually seems to be more of a BARF diet and commercial diet mix, as RAW is usually refering to a diet of meat, bones and organs and limited veggies ect. ect.. BARF diets usually include more veggies and grains than RAW diets do, and tend to be a bit more complicated. Of course everyone has their definition of each. LOL It can get quite confusing at times. I am a RAW feeder and do not feed any commercial foods to my dogs, so I of course see nothing wrong with what he is eating, though I do find it a bit extreme and a lil too complicated for my taste. I would also be concerned about feeding raw eggs that often. I feed my dogs whole raw eggs (shells included) but I don't feed them that often. Usually an egg or 2 twice a week. Personally I wouldn't be giving him 2 raw eggs every day. JMO though. :D
      "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

Comment

Thanks to both of you, I"m seeing my vet soon, so I'll ask her, and I'll post here what she says. I agree, too many eggs, but since it's not my dog, he's here for a week, I"m doing what they want me to.
        I did however, take the idea of the grated carrots, a tiny bit for Mia, not every day, and a bit of the rice, which I think is good, for my lab also.
        Michael my african grey loves it too, so fresh vegetables are always good, but this is too much I think, and for every meal, way too much.
        I'll post what my vet think when I see her,
        thanks
        Barbara

Comment

I agree with the others that it is a mixture of raw and commercial. However my understanding of Raw is that you are not suppose to mix them both because a commercial diet goes through the body slower than the raw. If mixing both then I think it can cause bloat? Don't quote me. I'm just trying to remember what others have said about it. :? I do know it's not good to mix both. :wink:
          Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Comment

But the raw diet includes such things as raw chicken wings?? What about uncooked chicken and the bones from teh chicken getting in their throat? Is this really safe?

Comment

Advocates of the raw diet swear that the chicken necks and wings are safe as long as they are uncooked. It is the cooking process that makes the bones brittle. As with anything else, though, it is good to consider whether your dog is likely to swallow a knuckle whole. Most dogs will knaw on these rather than gulp them down. When they chew up the other type bones, they get great nutrition from the marrow and cartilage.

To me, the most impressive part of the raw diet is that the nutrition is preserved by the lack of cooking. Also, the dogs' ancestors were carnivores and they did not cook. I would not have thought raw was a good idea, but so much that I have read about it makes sense. The main premise of the book I have recently read is that the digestive system of the canine has not evolved much...so if you accept that the rest is easy.

Abby looks lady-like, but she eats much worse stuff than raw chicken, but only if she gets the chance. However, the author I have been reading recommends only the freshest meat and if possible, it should be organically raised. Also, the dogs digestive system can handle some stuff that ours cannot.

Each person has to decide for themselves if it is safe.

Comment

Personally I would worry about bacteria. And I know Kota wouldnt do good on it. She has a problem with people food. It makes her have the runs. :(
                Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Comment

This definitely has to be a personal decision. I am too lazy to make the
                  commitment to a totally raw diet. I found a link to a review of the book I have been referring to, in case anyone wants to check it out. It is very interesting stuff: http://home.earthlink.net/~affenbar/

Comment

THanks everyone, being as how this is not my dog, it's what I"m feeding him. But for mine, I won't be giving them the raw meat. It's not so much the idea of it, but I question how long it's been kept fresh at the store. OUt in the wild, they would be hunting, and it would be fresh to eat, but it's us humans that keep it in the freezer, refrigerator, and at the store.
                    Mia loves the grated carrots, and once a week I do give them an egg mixed up in the dry. I"ve also heard that about the bones being ok if not cooked, but I again question the freshness of the whole thing, weather it's chicken, or whatever.
                    thanks for all your thoughts,
                    Barbara

Comment

Rita,
                      Now I am not arguing here, because I do not have enough knowledge or education on this issue to know enough one way or the other. But I do question this one thing...

>>Also, the dogs' ancestors were carnivores and they did not cook.<<

I hear that sort of thing often in various fields of animals...and my answer to that is always the same...that our dogs, and our horses are FAR from what their ancestors were. Hundreds of years of domestication have greatly changed who they are, what they can eat and their medical histories. (for good or bad!).

Anyway, appreciate the discussion here..

Barbara - forgot to tell oyu that was one of Mia's FAVORITES treats!! I was so surprosed! A whole, uncooked carrot - she would demolish it!

Comment

I called Holistic veterinarian who is an acquaintance of mine and he said that in his humble opinion (now he is a HOLISTIC vet) NO dog today should get raw eggs - even if they are directly from a farm they will contain (and their shells will contain) e-coli and salmonella (and other nasty organisms) Have any of you ever seen a chicken's 'butt' - ours are free range and super healthy and there is no way I would eat anything that came out of that 'end' without cooking it.

Re: Raw bones - hogwash - have you ever deboned a chicken breast? Those bones are SHARP and all it takes to kill your dog is ONE LITTLE SPLINTER. Better safe than sorry. If you must feed raw chicken (again the problem with salmonella and e-coli - debone it.

Our dogs are GENERATIONS removed from wild dogs and our dogs are not started on raw meat. Their intestines by the time WE decide to feed them these FAD diets are not used to eating this way.

TURKEY???? Please let her know (the newf's owner) that I believe that even RAW enthusiasts will agree that the L-Carnitine in turkey is not recommended for dogs.

Re: two eggs a day. The veterinarian told me that NO dog should have more than ONE cooked egg a week - less would be preferable.

This poor Newfy.

Comment

You know what, the thing about the chickens butt made me laugh, but it's true!!!!!!!! I also think that common sense should tell us that ya- in the wild they did hunt,but so what-
                          I don't know why these people are so extreme about this dog, ironically, he's a 150 pound Newfoundland, out of control, aggressive, and no manners, so focused on taking care of him like he's almost a person, not a dog.
                          I didn't know that raw eggs were bad, but now that I read that, it makes
                          sense. I am going to start boiling a couple, and they can have one or two a week.
                          Kery, I grate the carrots for little Mia and she loves them, and also,
                          in the truck the other day, I was eating an apple, and here she is, looking, so I gave her half, and not one tiny bit was left after she was done,, she loved it!!
                          So many boxed, dry expensive treats in the store, when all a dog really wants is a carrot, an apple, or a tiny peice of cheese??
                          This is a good topic, should we start one about horses?????
                          Barbara

Comment

Hey Barbara,

Just a heads up - apple peel is dangerous (and pretty undigestible) for a dog and the 'pits' are poisonout as are grapes (you can find out more information about this on the ASPCA's site. Avocado and artichoke are deadly as well, as is chocolate and although the RAW feeders don't agree so is garlic and onion.

Apples also contain a ton of sodium and Mia is tiny so maybe you want to limit her apple treats to no more than 1/2 apple a week. NO GRAPES or raisins though.

We occasionally cook beets (you can buy them diced in a can as well - just pour off the liquid they come in) and the dogs absolutely LOVE them.

Little bits of banana are good too but don't start giving her so many 'sweets' that she will turn her nose up at her regular food. Also don't give treats at the same time every day - better to make them a 'surprise' for particularly good behavior.

Kiss her for me please.

Comment

HI there, thankyou for that She ate not quite half, it was the rest of what I didn't want, and no peel cause I ate it, so lucky I guess. I've had dogs for years and years, but didn't know about that or grapes. Barney loves grapes, and I just heard that one a couple weeks ago. Is it some dogs get sick, because it never bothered Barney, or my rottie Chauncy??
                              I belive you, maybe I"ve just been lucky, but won't be giving them that anymore.
                              Thanks!!
                              And speaking of food, theyjust had dry food with a bit of baked chicken,
                              yummy!
                              And what did I have for dinner???????? French vanilla icecream with a ton ton ton of chocolate sauce, yummy!!!!
                              Barbara

Comment

Working...
                              X